Monday, October 18, 2010

you don't do it on purpose but you make me shake

So.

I know I've been slightly MIA on this here blog for the last little while (a fact someone pointed out to me at the dining room table this evening...you know who you are). I swear I have a good reason.

I'd like to tell the blogosphere that this good reason is that I've successfully obtained employment in my new/favourite city and have been frantically working away/apartment hunting/seeing friends/laughing my face off.

I'd like to. But that would be a lie.

Well, partially.

The reality is this. A good portion of my time here so far has been taken up by battling the Flu. Of. Death.

Seriously. It struck me down in what felt like a matter of seconds, and I've been out for three days. My status has progressed from feeling like I got hit by an entire VIA rail passenger train, to feeling like I got hit by a Mack truck, to today, where I feel as though it was just a mini-van that ran over the upper half of my body.

Yes, I did just compare my illness to being hit by vehicles.

And in all honesty, despite how incredibly brutal this illness has been, and how it's put me behind more than I would have liked in terms of job hunting, I have to say that I realize more and more because of this how lucky I am.

I have spent this past almost-week with a family that is so incredibly sweet, caring, kind and funny that I've never been more comfortable being deathly ill in a place that wasn't my own. Okay...that sounds really weird. Let's try that again.

You know how when you're sick, the only place you want to be is your own bed? Okay, now imagine being in your friend's family's home, one that you're semi-familiar with, but still isn't yours. Normally, this is the kind of thing that would make me feel even more miserable, on top of my illness, and yet, I don't think there's anywhere else I'd have rather been (okay, save for home, but since my momma's 6 hours away and can't drive atm, we scratched that option).

Everyone here has been amazing. They've sat up with me almost all night making sure I manage to keep something down (you're welcome for that image); they've fed me broth and tea and crackers; they've medicated me for all my ills for the last three days; they've given me my own room with a television; they've flattened my gingerale, checked to make sure I was still breathing after a 16-hour-sleep-a-thon, moved my car for me when it was in everyone's way, and generally just ensured that I had what I needed to be comfortable and work myself back into wellness. In essence, every single one of them has cared.

They've not just let me into their home while I try and make my life transformation, and have not just fed me and given me a bed. Instead, this special family has made me feel wanted, welcomed, and almost as though I was always one of their own. Their kindness has touched me in a way that very few do and even though I know that most of them won't read this, I feel like, on my blog, it has to be said:

Thank you. All of you. You are some of the most special people I have ever been lucky enough to come across.


Anddddd that's all she wrote. Literally. I think I've oversapped everyone.

Alright, I think it's high time I exited this massive post, stage left. My entire upper body is aching.

But as I do, I also need to say: In this last week, I have seen some of my most favourite people ever, have laughed more than I have in ages, have managed to get back into a drama production and have also had an interview. Fingers crossed for me folks. No matter the setbacks, Jmart's life transformation is officially underway.

Oh, and PS: expect a rant on wedding dresses soon. For serious.

No comments:

Post a Comment